Wednesday 20 April 2011

Working out at 6am

So I finally have time and inspiration for a new blog post! Woo hoo!
When I first began my weight loss journey I dove RIGHT in to frequent vigorous workouts (usually twice a day, 6-7 days a week) Of course with combining this with my new diet I was dropping 2, 3, 4 lbs a week. Obviously this is to be expected when you first start working out, but even into my 8th week of weight loss, I was still losing 2-3 lbs a week. I know there are people on both sides of the spectrum when it comes to working out first thing in the morning, but I strongly believe my working out before I went to work had a strong influence on my weight loss.

Pretty soon, life started to get crazy hectic and I wasn't able to get to bed as early. Since when I go to the gym before work I have to get up at 5...if I don't go to bed early there is almost no point in going to the gym in the morning. I get way too tired and sluggish and the work out sucks!  So, with my new crazy life, I stopped going to the gym in the morning....and then my weight loss slowed. Instead of 2-3 lbs a week it is now averaging around 1 lb a week. I know, I know, I am smaller, so my loss is going to be less....but I just don't feel like I have been giving it as much as I can. I feel like if I could give it more, that I would be seeing bigger results.

After losing NOTHING this week and last....yes...NOTHING I felt like it was time to step it up again. Time to buckle down on my eating, and time to step up my work outs because the reality is, yes I am smaller, but I am not at my goal weight. I am still not feeling comfortable with myself. I want to look back at my day before bed and say yes, I gave 100% today. The past few weeks, this has not happened. In my defense life has been sooo sooo busy so I havent had the extra time for extra work outs, and my weekends have been soo full that I havent been able to work out at all....Weekends used to be my time to go to the gym and work myself until I couldn't work anymore.. Yes, these all seem like excuses, but they have been my reality.

After weighing in last night and seeing no loss again.... I decided that, that was it, I am not going to give into this and just go back to my old ways...this is a sign that it is time to step it up again.

This brings me to this morning. I got up at 5:00 and was at the gym by 6...and MAN am I SOOOOOO glad I did. I worked my absolute ass off and left the gym feeling amazing. Theres something that working out in the morning does for me. I get almost a "high" off of it. I do not waste any time at the gym in the morning. My mindset is, I got myself out of bed this early, I am going to make it worth my time. This morning I burned 500 calories in just under an hour of cardio. My intention right now is to hit the gym on my lunch break again, and then hopefully tomorrow when I check my weight, I will see something I like.

If you are thinking of trying to go to the gym before work - DO IT!!! I promise the hardest part is just getting yourself out of bed. Once you do, and you get to the gym, you will be soooo glad you did!

On a side note - we have now picked our photographer for our wedding, so that's exciting...oh and 11 DAYS TILL MEXICO!!! In fact, 2 weeks today until my lovely bestie marry's her man. WOW. Time has absolutely FLOWN by.... I am so excited, thrilled & honoured to stand up there with her. Eleven days!!!! xo-B

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATS for getting back to the gym! I know it's not easy, especially when that alarm goes off so early! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, way to go. I know for me if I stop something it's really hard to get it back. You gave me inspiration, I work from home so I don't have any excuses for not going in morning. I used to do this and it was way better than drinking a few too many cups of coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments ladies!! I love reading them. Its nice to know people "get what im sayin" =)

    ReplyDelete